DNA has been one of the most important scientific discoveries in recent years. DNA is made up of four building blocks, known as nucleotides. The sequence of these billions of nucleotides wrapped up in the nucleus of each of our cells. This unique sequence, or code, helps us to develop, survive, reproduce, and this information is passed onto our children. The unique sequence is what makes a man a man, a woman a woman, a zebra a zebra, and a ladybug a ladybug. Every living thing, plant or animal, has DNA.
The discovery and science of DNA has indeed changed the world – even beyond the field of science. Not only have innocent people on Death Row been freed from jail, but also forensics, agriculture, paternity cases, legal cases, and the treatment of diseases have greatly changed because of DNA science.
From all we have learned from DNA science, it still makes only 2% of the actual DNA molecule. In other words, only 2% of the DNA molecule codes in a way that can be read by a machine. The other 98% DOES NOT code or have any kind of sequence. DNA scientists consider this 98% “JUNK”. Junk DNA.
The term “Junk DNA” would be more appropriate if the term were the other way around. That is, if 98% of the DNA coded and 2% did not code. However, that is not the case. The reality – OUR REALITY – is that 2% of our DNA is coded and 98% of it is uncoded.
Consider these metaphors…
If your entire body were the DNA molecule, just your feet would account for 2%. The rest of your body would be the 98%.
If The United States were the DNA molecule, then just the state of Oregon would be 2%.
If the entire world were the DNA molecule, then just Russia would be 2%. The rest of the world (America, Canada, Europe, South America, Central America, Asia, Antartica, Australia, etc….) would be the 98%.
In other words, 98% is HUGE!
In a future post or book, we will talk in more detail about the significance of this VAST 98% of unsequenced/uncoded part of our DNA.